Have you always wanted to volunteer?
Do you have a few hours that you can share with someone?
- To visit client(s) on a regular basis at a time that is mutually convenient and where appropriate to take a snack or meal as agreed in advance.
- To spend quality time during visits listening to and talking to diners, one-to-one guided by the diner on the length of the visit.
- To report back to the co-ordinator about diners on a regular basis following each visit.
- To alert the co-ordinator to any concerns clients may have, or any concerns you may have about clients.
- To take an interest that the diner is safe
- Any personal care, e.g. feeding, dressing, assisting with the toilet, etc.
- Shopping or housework (buying small items on behalf of the client may be allowed in accordance with money handling procedures).
- Administering or advising on the use of any medications.
- Any heavy lifting.
- Any task you feel uncomfortable with.
Initially, one of the team will contact you to discuss what you are looking for from your time with FAF and logistically what you are interested in doing.
We then need to run the normal checks to protect you and the diner and we will formally accept you onto our program
You will then be matched to a local diner and there will be a follow up session with the FAF team to talk through what is known about your diner’s needs and wishes.
The next step is introductions. First introductions can be escorted with an experienced member of the team. This initial meeting will be used to confirm the diner’s preferences and arrangements and may include a friend or family if they choose. Follow up catch ups will be down to volunteer and diner to organise but the FAF team ask that you confirm dates and times and keep completed records of visits and any food hygiene records required.
Volunteering can be difficult at times, we have an experienced team that can help provide support if you need it, whether this be talking through your experience as a volunteer or discussing a difficult situation that you may come across.